Traffic Rules and Safety Measures

What is the distance to be maintained from the vehicle in front?

The driver of vehicle moving behind another vehicle shall keep sufficient distance from the vehicle in front (one vehicle length distance for every 15 km/hr). More the speed more is the distance between two vehicles.

Is carrying persons in tractor & goods vehicles allowed?

A driver when driving a tractor shall not carry or allow to carry any person on tractor. Goods vehicle driver shall not carry passengers on Hire or Reward.

What is the number of persons allowed in a tractor & goods vehicles?

• Three Wheeler (but not besides driver) - 1 Bonafide employee
• LMV Transport (Divan, Tempo) - 3 Bonafide employees
• Heavy goods vehicle (Truck) - 6 Bonafide employees
(Not applicable for vehicle plying on interstate route or from one city to another city)

What pointers should you keep in mind regarding the projection of load?

No person shall drive any motor vehicle which is loaded in a manner likely to cause danger to any person in such manner that the load projects laterally beyond the side of body or to the front or to the rear or in height beyond permissible limits. (Projection in Height - 3.8 mtrs. Projection at the rear - 1.85 mtrs.)

What should you do before driving in reverse gear?

No driver shall drive in reverse gear without first satisfying himself that it will not cause danger to others.

Horns and Silences Zones

What are the don'ts of the use of Horns and silence zones?

A driver of a vehicle shall not –
• Sound the horn needlessly or continuously or more than necessary to ensure safety.
• Sound the horn in silence zones.
• Drive a vehicle creating undue noise when in motion.
• Drive a vehicle with a muffler causing alarming sound.
• Sound the multituned horn or shrill horns.

Parking Rules

Where should you not park your vehicle?

A driver shall not park his vehicle:
• At or near a road crossing, a bend, top of hill.
• On a footpath
• Near traffic light or pedestrian crossing
• Opposite another parked vehicle
• Alongside another parked vehicle
• Near bus stop, school or hospital entrance
• On the wrong side of the road
• Where parking is prohibited (indicated by traffic sign)
• Away from the edge of the footpath

Traffic Rules to Reminder

Every driver shall possess adequate knowledge and understanding of the following provisions of MV. Act 1988

Section 122 = Leaving vehicle in dangerous position
Parking of the vehicle in the public place should not cause danger, obstruction or inconvenience to other road users.

Section 123 = Riding on running board
Carriage of person on running board and on the top or on the bonnet of motor vehicle is strictly prohibited.

Section 125 = Obstruction to the driver
No person driving a motor vehicle shall allow any person to stand or sit or anything to be placed in such a manner as to hamper the driver in his control of the vehicle.

Section 126 = Stationary vehicle
While keeping the vehicle stationary in public place its mechanism should be stopped, brakes must be applied or such measures should be taken as to ensure that vehicle cannot accidently be put in motion.

Section = 127 Removal of motor vehicles abandoned or left unattended in a public place
• Where any motor vehicle is abandoned or left unattended in a public place for 10 hours or more, its removal by a towing service may be authorized by a police officer having jurisdiction.
• Where an abandoned, unattended, wrecked, burnt or partially dismantled vehicle is creating a traffic hazard because of its position in realization to the highway, or its physical appearance causes an impediment to the traffic, its immediate removal from the highway by a towing service may be authorized by a police officer having jurisdiction.
• Where a vehicle is authorized to be removed under sub-section 1 or sub­section 2 by a police officer, the owner of the vehicle shall be responsible for all towing costs, besides any other penalty.

Section =128 Safety measures for drivers and pillion riders
No driver of a two-wheeled motor cycle shall carry more than one person in addition to himself on the motor cycle and no such person shall be carried otherwise than sitting on a proper seat securely fixed to the motor cycle behind the driver's seat with appropriate safety measures. In addition to the safety measures mentioned, the Central Government may prescribe other safety measures for the drivers of two-wheeled motor cycles and pillion riders thereon.

Section = 130 Production of documents
• The driver of motor vehicle in any public place shall on demand produce his license and certificate of registration of the vehicle for examination.
• Provided that the driver may, if his license has been submitted to or has been seized by any officer or authority under this or any other Act, produce in lieu (place) of the license a receipt or other acknowledgement issued by such officer or authority in respect thereof and thereafter produce the license within such period, in such manner as the Central Government.
Besides these documents driver of transport vehicle shall produce Road Permit Fitness Certificate, Authorisation if any and Certificate of Taxation on demand.

Section = 131 Duty of this driver to take certain precautions at unguarded railway level crossing
Every driver of any motor vehicle at the approach of any unguarded railway level crossing shall cause the vehicle to stop and the driver of the vehicle shall cause the conductor or cleaner or attendant or any other person in the vehicle to walk up to the level crossing and ensure that no train or trolly is approaching from either side and then pilot the motor vehicle across such level crossing and where no conductor or cleaner or attendant or any other person is available in the vehicle, the driver of the vehicle shall get down from the vehicle himself to ensure that no train or trolley is approaching from either side before the railway track is crossed. The driver shall not change the gear while crossing the level crossing.

Section = 134 Duty of driver in case of Accident
If you are involved in an accident then you should:
• Stop.
• Give your own and vehicle owner's name and address to any person who gives his name and address.
• Give possible medical aid to injured person.
• Report the matter to the nearest Police Station as soon as possible within 24 hours.

Section = 185 Driving by drunken person or by a person under the influence of drugs
Whoever, while driving or attempting to drive, a motor vehicle shall be punishable for the first offence with imprisonment for a term which may extend to six months, or with fine which may extend to two thousand rupees, or with both.

Section = 186 Driving when mentally or physically unfit to drive
Whoever drives a motor vehicle in any public place when he is to his knowledge suffering from any disease or disability calculated to cause his driving of the vehicle to be a source of danger to the public, shall be punishable for the first offence with fine which may extend to two hundred rupees.

Section = 207 Power to detain the vehicle
The Motor Vehicle Inspector may detain the vehicle used • Without certificate of registration.
• Without permit.
• Without driving license.


What are the precautions you must take before overtaking?

Driver must take the following precautions before overtaking:
• Overtaking is prohibited at blind turns, corners, hill top, when indicated not to overtake by traffic signal or road markings.
• Overtake only from right side. (Except when vehicle is turning right.)
• Make your intentions clear before overtaking and do not overtake unless driver ahead permits you to do so.
• While overtaking, distance of vehicle coming from opposite direction, its speed and road gradient plays an important role.
• Before starting to overtake look in your mirror and confirm that nobody else is overtaking you.
• If in doubt do not overtake.
• When being overtaken driver shall not increase speed or do anything to obstruct other vehicle passing it.
• Come back to your own lane as soon as the vehicle which you have overtaken is seen in the mirror.

What must you do at a road junction and Giveway?

The driver of a motor vehicle shall slow down when approaching a road intersection, a road junction, pedestrian crossing or a road corner, and shall not enter, until he has become aware that he may do so without endangering the safety of persons thereon and shall give way to all traffic approaching on the right hand side of the road. On mountain roads or steep roads vehicle travelling down hill shall give precedence to vehicle going uphill.

Should free service vehicles and ambulance be given free passage?

Every driver shall on the approach of fire service vehicle or of an ambulance allow it free passage by drawing to the left side of the road.

Pedestrain Crossing

What is the significance of a Pedestrian Crossing?

The pedestrians have right of way at any pedestrian crossing (Zeba crossing). When a solid yellow or white line is painted on the road at a pedestrian crossing no driver shall drive a motor vehicle so that part thereof projects beyond that line.

Registration Mark

How should you maintain the Registration Mark?

Registration mark shall be maintained in clear and legible condition so that one can read it in clear daylight from a distance of 25 mtrs. And shall be properly illuminated during night.


What are the points to be noted regarding Towing?

• No vehicle other than mechanically disabled vehicle shall be towed by any vehicle.
• There shall be a license holding driver in the vehicle being towed or its steering wheels shall be elevated from the road.
• On the rear of vehicle being towed letters "ON TOW" shall be displayed.
• Distance between two vehicles shall not be more than 5 mts.
• Speed of the vehicle towing another vehicle shall not be more than 24 kms/hr.

Number Plate

How to display registration marks on Motor Vehicles?

High Security Registration Plates (HSRP) on new vehicles (Private and Commercial) should be affixed as per notification of Transport Department, UT, Chandigarh. Click here to read more


What are Compoundable and Non-Compoundable Offences?

In case of a compoundable offence, traffic rules violator can pay the fine on the spot to the authorities authorized by the State/UT govt. for example police officers, state transport officers, etc., while in case of non-compoundable offences, offenders have to appear and face prosecution in a court of law.In case of a compoundable offence, traffic rules violator can pay the fine on the spot to the authorities authorized by the State/UT govt. for example police officers, state transport officers, etc., while in case of non-compoundable offences, offenders have to appear and face prosecution in a court of law.

How to lodge traffic related complaints/suggestions?

Any traffic related complaint/suggestion can be sent either through post to the office of the Senior Superintendent of Police/Traffic & Security, Chandigarh Police Hqrs, Sector 9, Chandigarh-160009 or by email psspst[at]chd[dot]nic[dot]in. Click here to read more.

Who can become a Traffic Marshal?

Any citizen above the age of 40 years who is a resident of Chandigarh Tricity region can enrol as a Traffic Marshal. Preference is given to senior citizens having relevant experience in public dealing. Click here to read more.

How to become a Traffic Marshal?

Any citizen can download the Traffic Marshal application form and fill the same and deposit it in the office of the Senior Superintendent of Police, (Traffic) U.T. Police Headquarters, Sector 9, Chandigarh or send scanned copy by email at psspst[at]chd[dot]nic[dot]in.

What is the Traffic Sentinel Scheme?

Alert citizens who wish to contribute to making Chandigarh roads safer can capture violations of traffic rules on their smart phones and by harnessing the power of social media transmit the same to traffic police for issuance of postal challans. Forwarded the pictures/videos to Chandigarh Traffic Police on whatsapp No. 9779580985. On the basis of your inputs, e-challans will be issued. Your identity will not be revealed. Click here to read more

What is TVIS?

Traffic Violation Information Slip (TVIS) is a form of postal challan issued under Section 133 of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 to owners of vehicles captured violating traffic rules using CCTV cameras, video cameras and photographs & video-recordings sent by citizens (traffic sentinel).

How to pay TVIS notice/Postal challan?

Anyone can pay TVIS /Postal challan online using e-challanparivahan portal i.e. https://www.echallan.parivahan.gov.in/index/accused-challan

How to obtain Driving History Record?

Any current or past resident of U.T. Chandigarh can apply for his/her driving history record for the period starting from 1997 at a cost of Rs. 500/-. The request can be made by post, email or in person to the Deputy Superintendent of Police, Traffic (Admin), Traffic Lines, Sector 29, Chandigarh. The request has to be made on the prescribed form and has to be accompanied by a registered post self-addressed stamped envelope. On receipt of the request from the applicant, the driving record is then mailed to the applicant by registered post in the envelope provided by him/her.

How to trace your towed vehicle?

Anyone can check whether their vehicles towed away or not through Towing Vehicle Search App of Chandigarh Traffic Police available at Google Play Store or dial 1073 Traffic Helpline for enquiry.

How can we release Towed Vehicle?

Towed vehicle can be released after paying compounding amount for wrong parking including towing away charges depending upon your vehicle type at Challaning Branch, Traffic Lines, Sector 29, Chandigarh. One should bring original documents i.e. DL, RC, Insurance, Pollution, Permit (if applicable) along with photocopy.

How to obtain permission for entry of heavy vehicles (truck) during restriction hours?

To meet any emergent, special need and for house-hold goods during restricted hours in UT Chandigarh, one can apply online giving an application to the office of DSP/Traffic (Admn) in Traffic Lines, Sector 29, Chandigarh. The photocopies of following documents of the heavy vehicles to be exempted are required for the same i.e. DL, RC, Insurance, Pollution, Permit and Road Fitness Certificate & Road Tax Paid Certificate. Applicants are requested to submit the request at least 72 hours prior to the date of entry.